Monday, July 14, 2008

A Stick?

So we're back from the beach and I have a bunch of pictures to post. . . still need to download them and I am working on that. But I have something else to post. Here we go. Oh my sweet Mia. She is such a crazy kid. So this evening, Ryan and I are downstairs (the kids had been in bed for over an hour) and all of a sudden I hear the girls door open. Of course it's Mia. Who else would it be? Kail falls asleep as soon as her head hits the pillow. I went upstairs to check on her and she said, "My nose. I put a stick in it." I wasn't exactly sure what that meant, but I asked her if her nose was hurting. She said yes and I asked if something was in it. She said, "Yes. A stick." I went and found a flashlight and looked in her nose and sure enough there was something in it. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) Mia's nose is not your typical nose. It just so happens that she put the 'stick' in her nose on the side where her cleft lip and palate were. This makes things a little tricky. The lip and palate have been repaired, however her gumline still has a hole at the very top where her gumline was never connected. This can't be fixed until her permanent teeth come in. I called downstairs for some back up from Ryan. We were armed with a flashlight and tweezers, however it was too far to retrieve. I really was not interested in the emergency room tonight. . . it was already 10 pm. Ryan convinced Mia to try to blow her nose. It didn't come out, but it started to move. That's when we discovered the 'secret compartment'. Once we lifted her lip up all the way at the top of her gumline where the hole is. . . . we saw the stick. Apparantly the nose blowing helped. I felt like I was in a really bad game of Operation as I tweezed it out. But we got it. Hooray. And I must mention that Mia was entirely calm throughout the 'procedure'. Amazing.

So what was the stick? A chewed up golf tee (care of Rosie). I had picked up little wooden pieces of it earlier today and apparantly missed one. Mia certainly learned her lesson after being told that we never put anything in our noses. "I won't do it ever again." At least we know if she does, there's probably a way out! And for that I feel lucky.

I was thinking afterwards about all that Mia's gone through and just as a reminder for me, this is Mia before her first surgery.













This is my Mia now. . . .3 surgeries down, probably several to go. Amazing right? She is brave and beautiful. I sure do love this girl.

7 comments:

Brooke said...

AMAZING! To see that side by side, she is so beautiful! What a blessing modern medicine is, truly a miracle! Reminds me of when Ella stuck paper in her nose and sadly she has no secret compartment so to the Emergency Room we went! That was a NIGHTMARE, glad you had such an easy little operation! Too funny, we love little MIA!

Kym said...

She is beautiful! And full of energy which makes it even better. :) Good thing you're good at "operation", too.

koko bean..... said...

Oh Kodi I have been there one too many times. My lovely Ayden when she was about Mia's age she did it not once not twice but 3 times. One time we had to go to the doctors to get it out. First time it was a cheerio, next was a french fry (that was the one for the doctors) and the last one was a pea I think. So I totally feel for you. And your little Mia is so beautiful, strong and smart.

Anna said...

You are brave to retrieve the 'stick'. Funny how we do things as parents that we thought we couldn't do before. Hooray for a happy outcome. I love the 2 pictures- such a visual reminder of the blessings in your life. She is a beautiful little girl and it sounds like she is full of personality too!

Jennifer said...

This reminds me of a funny story when I was teaching 1st grade. During art, one of my students stuck a paint sponge in his nose and it was there for who knows how long (no one knew about it) until it started to smell bad and had to be removed by a doctor.

Kim said...

Mia, Mia, Mia! We love Mia! She is so precious and such a blessing to have in our family. Life would be boring without her!

Lillie said...

How did you not tell me this story?! Am I so self absorbed and excited to have you back in town that I've forgotten to ask you questions??? Because that's a good story. SOO glad you got it out ok. She is one brave girl. And what a gorgeous picture of her. Was that at Ryan's brother's wedding?