Saturday, April 26, 2008

Camping Extravaganza

So we did it. . . . we took our girls camping for the first time last weekend. Our ward had a campout at Hurkey Creek, so we broke out the tent and sleeping bags and had a great time. Our camping highlights included:

-Smores - with pink marshmallows for Kail and Mia
-Tons of little girls in our ward which meant more friends to get dirty with
-Wearing long sleeves and jackets
-Yummy tin foil dinners thanks to Ryan's Eagle Scout skills
-Blow up air mattresses in our tent
-Beautiful trees and green meadows (and they weren't palm trees)
-A ginormous play structure with slides for the kids to play on
-Hand warmers in our pockets
-Hot chocolate
-Rosie (the dog) entertaining everyone
-The lovely campfire smell

Some of the lowlights included:
-20-30 degrees at night
-Only 3 sleeping bags and 4 people (and Mia apparantly doesn't like to cuddle)
-Sitting in the car, staring into the dark sky and just waiting for the sun to come up
-The nasty campfire smell

That being said we are definitely going again, just when it's a bit WARMER. I am told that the high is only 85 degrees in the summer and the fact that it's only 45 minutes away means we'll be visiting again soon.


5 comments:

koko bean..... said...

I will agree to the nasty campfire smell as being a low light of the trip. I had to wash, clothes, blankets, and jackets as soon as I could the smell was driving me crazy. It was in my car for a couple of days and it drove me nuts. But on the same end we will do it again( hehe). My kids had a lot of fun and are begging to stay the night, so we will have to do it again and venture to stay the night. Glad you guys had fun too.

Sheila said...

Sounds like fun. Sorry I missed the ward campout. So, how many "campers" ended up sleeping in their cars?

Brooke said...

I loved reading that even if it was the second time I heard that funny story! Rosie looks quite posh in her little sweater! Fun times!

Shelly said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! We have yet to take our kids camping. I told Cody I wouldn't do it until Gus is three (because of the everyone sleeping together situation). Maybe we'll have to just do it, though. It looks like you guys survived and had a fun adventure!

Lillie said...

Even with the lowlights--- I'm so so jealous we didn't go. (I know I know we're out of the ward and technically weren't invited but still). We're going to have to join you on one of your future trips. Cute family picture.